Archive photos showing a brief history of City Hall
This perspective drawing, some 6 feet long, was given to the city in
1932 after architects Charles Holloway James and
Pierce won the competition to design City Hall.
The site being cleared ahead of construction against the backdrop
of St Peter Mancroft Church.
Norwich Castle overlooks the piles of rubble cover the site during
the vast clearance operation.
Builders hard at work as the main structure of City Hall begins to
take shape beside the Guildhall.
A row of shops in Bethel Street, long since demolished, can be
seen through the steel girders and scaffolding as the construction
Scaffolding surrounds what would become
one of the most dominant and recognisable
features of the city skyline; the City Hall clock
tower as it nears completion.
The clock tower bell, the largest of its kind
in the country, arrives on a lorry.
A stone mason painstakingly chisels the
names of the city’s Lord Mayors into the
marble wall in the foyer.
The 1936 Lord Mayor Councillor Riley lays the foundation stone at
Illuminated façade of City Hall, with canopies
cover the seating two days before the official
A view from Castle Mound of the newly completed building bathed
in light two days before the official opening.
Photo courtesy of Archant Norfolk
Thousands of people gathered in bright sunshine to witness the
official opening of City Hall by King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth
– the largest
gathering of people in the city’s history.