Licensing - motor salvage operators


Do I need this licence?

Any person who carries out a business that involves the following needs to register with Norwich City Council:

  • Recovery of salvageable parts from motor vehicles
  • Subsequent sale or disposal of the remainder of the vehicle
  • Purchase of “written off” vehicles for repair or resale
  • Any related activities

Please note this information only applies to businesses operating in the Norwich City Council area. If you are operating elsewhere you should contact that local authority.

Anyone who is involved in operating a motor salvage business in Norwich should seek registration with the city council and anyone trading without being registered is committing a criminal offence. Anyone not registered should do so immediately.

Anyone who is seeking to operate such a business for the first time will need to be registered before they can begin trading. Before seeking registration you should have first obtained suitable premises and planning permission – contact Norwich City Council’s planning department. You may also need to hold an Environmental Agency Waste Management Licence – contact the Environmental Agency.

What is the cost of this licence?

The licence fee is £97 and licences last for three years.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence.

Will tacit consent apply?

No, tacit consent is not applicable to this type of licence.

How do I apply?

To apply online click here.

Alternatively for an application form to register with Norwich City Council, please contact our customer contact team on 0344 980 3333.

What happens if I’m turned down, how do I appeal?

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

How do I inform you about changes in circumstance?

To apply online to change a licence click here

Alternatively, please contact the customer contact team on 0344 980 3333.

Where can I go for further information?

Vehicle (Crime) Act 2001

Is there a public register?

No, Norwich City Council does not hold a public register of motor salvage operators.