Housing exchanges

If you are a Norwich City Council tenant with a secure tenancy and considering a move, one option may be to exchange your home with another council or housing association tenant (this is called a mutual exchange).

You may wish to downsize or upsize to meet your family needs or would like to move to be nearer to family/friends or work. Whatever the reason a mutual exchange could be a fast and easy way to find a new home.

Register for FREE on the House Exchange website

Use the House Exchange website to search for an exchange partner(s).

When you have found someone you would like to swap homes with, get in touch with the council’s customer contact team and explain that you would like to put your request to exchange in writing. Once completed forms have been received from all parties involved in the exchange, the council will confirm within 42 days whether the exchange can go ahead.

Permission might not be given:

  • If you, or the other tenant(s) involved in the exchange, have been served with a Notice Seeking Possession and/or a court order. For example for arrears or antisocial behavior.
  • If one or more of the homes involved in the exchange would be either overcrowded or under occupied as a result of the exchange.
Sometimes there may be conditions to be fulfilled before permission is granted. For example, clearing any rent arrears or putting right any damage to the property.

Your home will be inspected, and the electricity supply will be tested, to ensure that it is safe, before the exchange goes ahead.

Contact details

If you are interested in a mutual exchange, please get in touch with the customer contact team:

online: contact us form
e: info@norwich.gov.uk
t: 0344 980 3333