Norwich City Council considers the following ways of using permits in controlled parking zones (CPZs) as reasonable.
General conditions for all permits
- The permit must be displayed on the near side of the windscreen, so that it can be read from the outside of the vehicle.
- A permit does not guarantee a parking space. If no parking spaces are available, this does not justify a parking contravention elsewhere.
- Permits are not valid for use on vehicles with an unladen weight of more than 3.5 tonnes or which exceed six metres in length.
- Permits are only valid for use on the dates shown on the permit.
The use of permits is monitored. Where evidence is found that the permit is being used wrongly, the permit holder will be given the opportunity to provide a satisfactory explanation of the circumstances or agree actions to rectify the situation. Action will be taken by the council if no satisfactory response is received.
- The permit is only valid in on-street permit parking spaces of the parking zone it is issued for – the zone is shown by the letter before the serial number on the permit or by the name printed on the permit. Signs near each permit parking bay will identify the parking zone.
Housing parking permits
- The permit is only valid for use in the residents' car park it is issued for – this will be shown by the three letters before the serial number on the permit. Entry signs to the car park and signs near each permit parking bay will identify the housing car park.
- Visitors’ permits are only valid when displayed on the vehicle of a visitor who is either in the property that the permit was issued to, or remains in the company of a permanent resident of that property, except when the resident is at their place of work or education.
- One visitor is not permitted to use the permit for more than 14 consecutive days without prior agreement from the council. Please contact us if you need to use the permit for longer.
On-street business users permits
- The permit is only valid when displayed on the vehicle either of a person visiting the business premises of the permit holder, or for employees of the business who need to use their vehicle as part of their work. The permit must not be used for all day commuter parking without prior consent from the city council.
On-street community carer permits or community care 'Q' permits
- This permit is only valid when displayed on the vehicle of a person who is performing a direct caring duty in the home of a client who lives in a CPZ.
On-street statutory duty permits or statutory 'Q' permits
- This permit is only valid when displayed on the vehicle of a person who has a statutory duty or legitimate business to enter a property in a CPZ, at the time they are in the property.
- If the business is non statutory, prior written consent must be obtained from the transportation department at Norwich City Council.
Car park season tickets and contract parking
- Please refer to the separate terms and conditions enclosed with your permit.
Penalty Charge Notices may be issued by the council to any vehicle found to be parked in contravention of any of the above conditions of use.
The council reserves the right to cancel, suspend or withdraw any parking permit issued.
If you have any further questions, please take a look at our frequently asked questions page.