Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Licensing - Street café (tables and chairs licence)

Record details

In partnership with EUGO

This page outlines the process for applying for a permanent renewable licence for placing furniture on a public highway.

For fast track temporary licences (valid only until the 30 September 2022) please visit the pavement licensing page.

You need a licence from us to use an area of public highway for placing of tables, chairs and other furniture outside for customers to use while eating food and drink.


  • New licence - £467
  • Three year renewal - £549

How to apply

Apply for a licence online

What information/evidence will I need to provide?

In addition to the application form you need to provide:

  • A copy of your Public Liability Insurance (minimum £5,000,000).
  • A plan showing the exact location and dimensions of the licence.
  • The plan should show the dimensions of the remaining footway, the kerb edge and any street furniture such as posts, letter boxes etc that are present. In Pedestrian Zones it is helpful to show the presence of any paving features/changes in paving materials, gullies/drainage etc that form a logical visual boundary to your proposed license area.
  • The location of the furniture within that area.
  • A description of the furniture/barriers to be used.
  • Photographs of the area to be covered by the tables and chairs licence and the surrounding highway.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period of 90 calendar days.

How to tell us about a change in circumstances

Tell us about a change

Regulation summary

Summary of the regulation.

Recent applications

Recent applications received for a tables and chairs licence

Feedback button
Feedback button