You need a licence from us to use an area of public highway for placing of tables, chairs and other furniture outside for customers to use while eating food and drink.
Before making an application
Please contact us for free informal advice from the Highway Authority. Send an annotated plan or photograph showing where you wish to install tables and chairs including dimensions of their extent and the space left for pedestrians to pass by.
- Transportation team (tables and chairs), Norwich City Council, City Hall, St Peters Street, Norwich, NR2 1NH
After a formal application has been submitted the proposal cannot be amended. The consultation process may identify further issues for us to consider that could result in the application being rejected despite initial advice to the contrary.
Fees for rejected applications are non-refundable.
- Licence fee - £467
- Three year renewal fee - £549
How to apply
What information/evidence will I need to provide?
In addition to the application form you need to provide:
- A copy of your Public Liability Insurance (minimum £5,000,000).
- A plan showing the exact location and dimensions of the licence.
- The plan should show the dimensions of the remaining footway, the kerb edge and any street furniture such as posts, letter boxes etc that are present. In Pedestrian Zones it is helpful to show the presence of any paving features/changes in paving materials, gullies/drainage etc that form a logical visual boundary to your proposed license area.
- The location of the furniture within that area.
- A description of the furniture/barriers to be used.
- Photographs of the area to be covered by the tables and chairs licence and the surrounding highway.
Will tacit consent apply?
Yes. This means you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period of 90 calendar days.
How to tell us about a change in circumstances