On-street parking restrictions and charges differ across the city according to the requirements of the locality. Check the on-street signs and pay and display machines for details.
- Inside the city centre - chargeable (pay and display)
- Outside the city centre - non-chargeable
We manage on-street parking to ensure there is a regular turnover of parking bays so that residents, shoppers, visitors and workers have access to the city.
On-street charges in the city centre will increase from Monday 18 July 2022.
- Band A: £1 for the first 15 minutes, followed by 50p per 15 minutes thereafter
- Band B: 80p for the first 15 minutes, followed by 30p per 15 minutes thereafter
Charges from Monday 18 July
- Band A: £1.20 for the first 15 minutes, followed by 60p per 15 minutes thereafter
- Band B: 95p for the first 15 minutes, followed by 35p per 15 minutes thereafter
Band A charging bays can be found in Bank Street, Ber Street, Bethel Street, Chapelfield East, Crown Road, Greyfriars Road, Magdalen Street, Prince of Wales Road, Princes Street, Rouen Road and St Giles Street.
Band B charging bays can be found in Bedding Lane, Ber Street, Bishopgate, Blackfriars Street, Calvert Street, Cathedral Street, Colegate, Cow Hill, Elm Hill, Fishergate, Garden Street, King Street, Mountergate, Muspole Street, Oak Street, Recorder Road, Rouen Road, St Benedicts St, St Faiths Lane, St Margaret’s Street, St Martin's at Palace Plain, St Marys Plain, Surrey Street and Upper St Giles.
- Coins accepted at pay and display machines: 5p, 10p, 20p, £1 and £2
- No change given, no debit/credit cards accepted
- Ensure your ticket is displayed
- Blue badges holders - no charge for parking in pay and display bays but valid badges must be displayed
Other uses for pay and display bays
In the city centre some pay and display bays may have different functions or restrictions at different times of day eg a pay and display in operation daytimes may be used as a taxi rank, no waiting restriction or permit parking at other times.
Always check on street signs and pay and display machines to avoid receiving a parking fine.
Parking enforcement policy: Civil Parking Enforcement Guidance Manual