We are responsible for maintaining, improving and managing the use of public roads (adopted public highways) in the city. This involves:
- safety inspections
- repairing and maintaining 450km of adopted public highway
- repairing and maintaining 34 highway bridges and 5 subways
- winter salting major traffic routes in the city
- co-ordinating all works in the public highway to minimise disruption to the public
- carrying out highway improvement works
- assisting and advising developers as part of the planning process
- adopting new roads
- helping to prepare the road safety plan
- carrying out safety audits, accident investigation and scheme related traffic monitoring
- licensing skips, scaffolds and hoardings on the highway.
The highways register lists when every street in the city was adopted. It also contains details of the drawings presented by the developer to the council for approval.