On-street parking restrictions and charges differ across the city according to the requirements of the locality. Check the on-street signs and pay and display machines for details.
- Inside the city centre - chargeable (pay and display).
- Outside the city centre - non-chargeable.
We manage on-street parking to ensure there is a regular turnover of parking bays so that residents, shoppers, visitors and workers have access to the city.
On-street charges in the city centre:
- Band A: £2.50 per hour, (£1 for the first 15 minutes, followed by 50p per 15 minutes thereafter)
- Band B: £1.70 per hour, (80p for the first 15 minutes, followed by 30p per 15 minutes thereafter)
- Coins accepted at pay and display machines: 5p, 10p, 20p, £1 and £2.
- No change given, no debit/credit cards accepted.
- Ensure your ticket is displayed.
- Blue badges holders - no charge for parking in pay and display bays but valid badges must be displayed.
Other uses for pay and display bays
In the city centre some pay and display bays may have different functions or restrictions at different times of day eg a pay and display in operation daytimes may be used as a taxi rank, no waiting restriction or permit parking at other times.
Always check on street signs and pay and display machines to avoid receiving a parking fine.
Parking enforcement policy: Civil Parking Enforcement Guidance Manual