Following a consultation with local interest groups and businesses, the council’s cabinet met in September 2016 and approved a new A boards policy.
Key points adopted included the following:
- Each business will only be allowed one ‘A’ board per frontage (where there is more than one frontage, one ‘A’ board will be allowed).
- All ‘A’ boards must directly adjoin the building.
- The boards must be no taller than 1.2m.
- An adequate space must be available for pedestrians to get around the boards. This has been set at a minimum of 1.2m, but this will be larger in busy areas.
- Businesses that put out ‘A’ boards must have a minimum of £5m public liability insurance.
For more information about the ‘A’ boards policy read the cabinet report from 14 September 2016.