Saturday 19 October, 10am to 4pm at The Forum
We will be hosting our fourth Pumpkin Rescue event at The Forum later this year!
This fun, free event will celebrate the pumpkin, showcasing excellent ways of making the most of your spooky squash.
The event, which takes place from 10am to 4pm on Saturday 19 October, again forms part of the Norwich Science Festival which this year runs from 18 to 26 October.
In the UK alone, 18 thousand tonnes of pumpkins are thrown away every year – the weight equivalent of 1,500 double decker buses! Food decomposing in landfill produces methane, a harmful greenhouse gas which has 21 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide.
There will be demonstrations of basic ways of using pumpkin carvings to create tasty treats, such as pumpkin soup and pumpkin pie. A variety of special visitors will also be offering more general advice and tips on making the most of the food you buy.
- FoodCycle Norwich – making pumpkin soup from gleaned supermarket items
- Fun Faces Face Painting
- Mad Science Norfolk
- Norwich FoodHub – Blend your own ‘autumnal smoothie’ on their smoothie bike
- Food Savvy – food saving tips and tricks
- Master Composters – answering all your composting questions
- Allotments team – results of most impressive pumpkin and most impressive squash competition: prizes to be won!
- Children’s colouring area
- Decorate a reusable bag to take away with you!
- Norwich Foodbank collection
- Deerly Beloved Vegan Bakery – vegan bakes (including Pumpkin bakes)