Please read before you use your permit
Who can get this permit?
A business occupying premises within a permit parking area outside the city centre (i.e. Zones A-Z and WE, BB and ER).
Is the permit specific to a particular vehicle?
Yes, but each permit can have two vehicle registration numbers, and can only be used on one vehicle at any one time.
What proof is required to enable the issue of a permit?
Occupancy - the business must provide written proof that it occupies business premises within a relevant permit parking area.
The business must confirm that the registered vehicle is required for operational purposes of the business (and provide an explanation of the reason that the vehicle is required for this purpose), and provide the registration number(s).
What the nature of the permit is and how many can I have?
The current Business Operational User Permit is a paper permit which details the vehicle registration number(s) on which the permit is valid, and the zone in which it can be used.
Each eligible business can have two permits of this type.
What type of vehicle they can be used on?
Permits are not valid for use on vehicles with an unladen weight of more than 3.5 tonnes or which exceed six metres in length.
How each permit can be used
- The permit must be displayed on the near side of the windscreen, so that it can be read from the outside of the vehicle.
- A permit does not guarantee a parking space. If no parking spaces are available, this does not justify a parking contravention elsewhere.
- Permits are only valid for use on the dates shown on the permit.
- The permit is only valid in on-street permit parking spaces of the parking zone it is issued for – the zone is shown by the letter before the serial number on the permit or by the name printed on the permit. Signs near each permit parking bay will identify the parking zone.
- A business permit is not valid for use across a dropped kerb for pedestrian or cycle use at any time or to a private driveway or garage without the express consent of the user of that drive or garage.
The use of permits is monitored. Where evidence is found that the permit is being used wrongly the permit holder will be given the opportunity to provide a satisfactory explanation of the circumstances or agree actions to rectify the situation. Action will be taken by the council if no satisfactory response is received.
Refunds and exchanges
Refunds will not be made on any unexpired portion of a parking permit, so you are advised to select the length of permit suited to your requirements.
An allowance will be made in the event that you change your vehicle or move to an alternative address within a permit entitlement against the issue of the replacement permit, subject to an administration charge of £12.