Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Care permit terms and conditions

Please read before you use your permit

Who can get this permit?

Any resident of a controlled parking zone who has particular medical or care needs that warrants constant care within the home.

Is the permit specific to a particular vehicle?


What proof is required to enable the issue of a permit?

1. Residency – resident must provide proof of residency (dated within three months)

  • Bank statement
  • Household bill
  • Mortgage agreement
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Norwich City Council rent card

2. Proof of need

  • Confirmation from the persons GP, Social Worker, or other appropriately qualified individual, explaining the grounds on which the permit is required, and if appropriate, the period of need.

The council will accept scanned or photographed copies of original document that can be submitted electronically, as well as hard copies of the original documents.

The council might be able to determine household occupancy if you are not able to provide documentation. There will be an additional fee for this service, whether we are able to confirm the details or not.

What is the nature of the permit and how many can I have?

The social need permit is a paper permit which details the zone in which it can be used. Eligible individuals will be issued with one permit in addition to any other entitlement.

What type of vehicle can the permit be used for?

Permits are not valid for use on vehicles with an unladen weight of more than 3.5 tonnes or used on which exceed six metres in length.

How each permit can be used:

  • The permit must be displayed on the near side of the windscreen, so that it can be read from the outside of the vehicle.
  • A permit does not guarantee a parking space. If no parking spaces are available, this does not justify a parking contravention elsewhere.
  • Permits are only valid for use on the dates shown on the permit.
  • The permit is only valid in on-street permit parking spaces of the parking zone it is issued for – the zone is shown by the letter before the serial number on the permit or by the name printed on the permit. Signs near each permit parking bay will identify the parking zone.
  • A care permit is not valid for use across a dropped kerb for pedestrian or cycle use at any time or to a private driveway or garage without the express consent of the user of that drive or garage.

The use of permits is monitored. Where evidence is found that the permit is being used wrongly the permit holder will be given the opportunity to provide a satisfactory explanation of the circumstances or agree actions to rectify the situation. Action will be taken by the council if no satisfactory response is received.

Refunds and exchanges

Refunds will not be made on any unexpired portion of a parking permit, so you are advised to select the length of permit suited to your requirements.

Lost permits can only be replaced where the permit is identifiable and is subject to an administration charge of £12.