Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich
New Covid tier for Norwich

On 26 November the government announced Norwich will be going into Tier 2 from Wednesday 2 December.

Read more

Test and Trace support payment

New national legislation around self-isolation has been introduced, to ensure compliance with Covid-19 regulations and limit the spread of infection.

As of Monday 28 September, it became a legal requirement for people who test positive for Covid-19 to self-isolate along with anyone contacted by NHS Test and Trace.

What is this new payment?

A new test and trace support payment of £500 is available to support those on low incomes who cannot work from home, allowing people to isolate when required without a negative impact on their finances. You can claim the payment up to 14 days after the end of your self-isolation period.

Am I eligible for the payment?

To receive the Test and Trace support payment, you must:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • be employed or self-employed
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit

I’m overdrawn – does this affect anything?

If you are overdrawn and concerned about accessing this money, you can formally tell your bank that you do not wish this payment to be used to clear any overdraft. This process is known as ‘exercising your first right of appropriation’, and an example draft letter is available for you to download here.

When can I apply?

The online application system will be available from 12 October, but anyone isolating from 28 September onwards will be able to submit a backdated application.

How can I apply?

Complete the online form from Monday 12 October.

Apply for Test and Trace support payment

Is any other support available through this scheme?

Along with the cash award, residents will also be able to highlight additional support needs such as food and medicine collections, which will be dealt with by the council and voluntary, community, and social enterprise partners.

Is there any more information I can take a look at?

For more information you can read the government’s press announcement on this.

Who can I contact about this?

You can email or call 0344 800 8020.