Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich
Covid alert level for Norwich

The government confirmed on 12 October 2020 that Norwich is in Tier 1 (medium) of the new 3-tier system. Let’s all pull together to help prevent the spread of the virus and avoid further restrictions.

Read more

Preparing for Brexit and leaving the European Union

Norwich City Council celebrates diversity and the contribution different groups make to the vibrant city of Norwich. We are committed to supporting the community, residents and businesses when the UK leaves the EU.

Following a referendum held in June 2016, the UK left the European Union (EU) on Friday 31 January 2020.

Leaving the EU involves a number of changes that will affect residents and businesses.

Get ready for Brexit and check the rules for January 2021

You can sign up to receive email updates to get the latest information from government.

Information for residents

EU Settlement Scheme

The government’s settlement status scheme is now live.

If you’re a European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status.

This will mean you can continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020. The deadline is 30 June 2021 to apply for either status.

Settled status

Those people who already have five years of continuous lawful residence in the UK will be eligible to apply for settled status.

Pre-settled status

You will be able to remain in the UK to build-up five years’ continuous residence by applying for pre-settled status. 

Information on who is required to apply for pre-settled or settled status can be found on the government website.

There is also a step by step guide to the application process.

You can get additional support applying to the EU Settlement Scheme if you’re a vulnerable citizen.

There will be no change to current rights under EU law until the end of the planned implementation period on 31 December 2020.

Translations of the scheme guidance is available in a number of languages.

What you'll need to apply

When you apply, you'll need:

  • A valid ID document (a passport or and ID card) Your ID document must not have expired. Contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre if you do not have an identity document.
  • A digital photo of your face
  • Proof of residence

If the government can’t confirm this through an automated check of UK tax or benefits records you must provide alternative evidence that you’ve been living here – see a full list of accepted evidence.

How to provide your proof of ID

When you apply, you can either:

  • scan your document and upload your photo using the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app using an Android phone, or an iPhone 7 or above
  • send your document in the post and upload your photo using the online application (you can take this yourself)

If you complete the online form and select the option to post documents rather than scan them, you will at that point be told where to send them. You must complete the online form before posting your documents.

Get help with your application

After your application

If your application for settled or pre-settled status is successful following your appointment, you will receive an email with digital proof. You will not receive any physical copies of your status under the current process.

After 31 December 2020 you will be required to show your digital proof of settled or pre-settled status as proof that you are eligible to work and remain in the UK.

Travelling to the EU

You can continue to travel to the EU as usual during the transition period.

From 1 January 2021 there will be new rules to travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein.

Check what you need to do to travel to Europe from 2021

From 1 January 2021 you will need to make customs declarations to move goods into and out of the EU.

Information for businesses

You will need an Economic Operators Registration and Identification number (EORI number) to move goods between the UK and non-EU countries. If you do not get one, you may have increased costs and delays. For example, if HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) cannot clear your goods you may have to pay storage fees.

You should:

Useful websites