Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

The most frequently asked questions about voting at an election.

How do I register to vote or check I am registered?

Read all about voting registration here.

When will I receive my Poll card?

This will depend on when you have registered to vote.

  • If you registered before 15 March 2022 your poll card will be sent out on 30 March
  • If you registered between 15 March and 14 April 2022 your poll card will be sent out on 26 april

You don’t need a poll card to vote if you are registered on the electoral register.

If you have received a poll card at your house that is for someone else that no longer lives at the address please let us know by calling 0344 980 3333.

When will I receive my postal vote?

This will depend on when you applied for a postal vote.

  • If you applied before 23 March 2022 your postal ballot papers should arrive approximately on 16 April
  • If you applied between 23 March and 19 April 2022 your postal ballot papers should arrive approximately on 28 April

More information about postal voting is available. 

Where is my polling station?

Your polling card will tell you the polling station you should vote at. You can also find your polling station by postcode on the Electoral Commissions website.

How do I find out information about the candidates?

Candidates information will be available from 4pm on Wednesday 6 April on the council’s website when the statement of nominations is published.

To find out more about each person you will need to visit their own/political party website or social media pages for more information as well as looking out for any campaign materials they publish.

What provision is made for disabled people?

There are different options for casting your vote:

  • at a polling station
  • by post
  • or by appointing a proxy to vote on your behalf.

Polling stations will be fully accessible. The staff are trained and have access to equipment to assist disabled electors to vote independently or with the assistance of polling station staff. Disabled electors can also bring a companion to assist them to vote at the polling station.

Tactile voting templates and large print versions of ballot papers that can be used for reference are available at all polling stations for blind or visually impaired voters.

You can take a companion with you (close relative or elector qualified to vote) to assist you, or ask the presiding officer at the polling station for help.

If you live or are stationed overseas

Overseas electors (British citizens living permanently abroad) cannot vote at local government elections.

Service voters and Crown Servants stationed overseas can vote in all elections.

Register to vote online - Crown Servants 

If you are in the Armed Forces (Army, Royal Navy or RAF) and posted abroad you can register at the address in the UK where you would be living if not posted overseas, or at an address where you have lived in the past. Service personnel posted abroad and their spouses or civil partners accompanying them can apply to register to vote.

For more information visit the Your Vote Matters website 

If you have no fixed abode

Please contact the elections office by emailing or calling 01603 989876 and they will be happy to help you register.

If you need to register to vote anonymously 

If you think your name and address being on the electoral register could affect your safety, or the safety or someone in your household, you can register to vote anonymously.

Please contact the elections office by emailing or calling 01603 989876 and they will be happy to assist you.