Before and after a Norwich City Football Club match, the following road closures are in place around the ground for crowd safety reasons.
- Carrow Road (the road that runs directly adjacent to the stadium parallel to Koblenz Avenue) to be closed 90 minutes before the match starts.
- The ring road between King Street and Clarence Road to be closed approximately five minutes before the end of the match.
- All closures to be lifted as soon as the majority of the crowds have cleared the stadium area, approximately 15 minutes after the final whistle.
These closures have been brought into place by Norwich City Council and Norfolk County Council, with Norwich City Football Club and Norfolk Constabulary, following a successful trial and public consultation.
After a game, there are sometimes as many as 26,000 people leaving the football club on foot at roughly the same time. This can be dangerous, as both pedestrians and cars are trying to navigate the road at the same time, and can also delay traffic.
These road closures are designed to disperse crowds more quickly and safely, as well as clear the road quicker for motorists. Section 287 of the Highways Act 1980
has been enacted for this purpose.
To check the dates and times of football matches, visit the Norwich City Football Club website (home games at Carrow Road are indicated by the 'H' prefix): www.canaries.co.uk/fixtures-results
Getting to Norwich City Football Club, Carrow Road
To help make sure you have an enjoyable match day experience at Carrow Road, we recommend you plan your journey.
There is no public car parking at Carrow Road and there are extensive parking restrictions in the surrounding area. Also, before and after the match there are road closures.
Please plan ahead and choose your best travel options. Walking distances to Carrow Road are given below.
The website www.walkit.com/norwich
is free to use and can generate a walking map route between any two points in the city.
By bus and coach
- Norwich Bus Station is well located in the city centre (1600 metres from Carrow Road).
- Several local bus services serve the Riverside retail park, which is next to Carrow Road.
Norwich International Airport is located four miles north of Norwich.
Please be aware that there are a limited number of disabled parking spaces at Carrow Road, that may be available with the agreement of Norwich City Football Club (check their website for details
There are no on street disabled parking bays in the vicinity of Carrow Road. However, there are alternative parking and travel options for disabled supporters:
- Disabled supporters may be dropped off in the Norwich City Holiday Inn hotel forecourt (access via Canary Way A1242, NR1 1HU). The hotel is located at the ground.
- Selected Norwich City Council car parks offer concessions for blue badge holders. Find out more here.
- Travel to Norwich bus or train station or Norwich International Airport and complete your journey by taxi or accessible private hire vehicle.
Information provided by Norwich City Council, correct as of May 2012. Please check details before making your journey.
Check Norwich City Football Club website for more information about travel to Carrow Road: www.canaries.co.uk/club/visit-us