All scrap metal dealers in the city council’s boundary require a licence under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.
You are a scrap metal dealer if you are:
- carrying on a business which consists wholly or partly in buying or selling scrap metal, whether or not the metal is sold in the form in which it was bought
- carrying on a business as a motor salvage operator
There are two types of licence:
- site licence - allows you to buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within the council area
- collectors licence - allows you to travel within the council area to collect scrap metal, you may not take this metal back to a site that you run within the council area in order to sell it.
Licence application tax check
From 4 April 2022 there is an addition to the licence application requirements. You’ll need to complete a tax check with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you’re:
- renewing a licence
- applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that ceased being valid less than a year ago
- applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority
You will need to set up a Government Gateway user ID and password and complete a tax check and obtain the tax check code to give to us.
To find out what you need to do please see Changes to licence applications from April 2022 on Gov.uk
We cannot proceed with your application or renewal until the tax check is completed and we have received the tax check code. Please note, we only receive confirmation that you have completed the check with HMRC and we do not have access to information about your tax affairs.
If you’ve not registered to pay tax on earnings from your licensed trade, please see Self assessment tax returns on Gov.uk to check if you need to register as soon as possible.
If you are applying for a licence for the first time, you will not need to complete the tax check. However, you will need to read HMRC guidance on what you need to do to be properly registered for tax in the future and you’ll need to confirm you have done this. Once you licence becomes due for renewal then you will then be required to complete a tax check.
- Site licence - £304
- Collectors licence - £156
- Renew site licence - £304
- Renew collectors licence - £156
- Vary, licensee name change - £46
- Vary, change of site - £270
- Vary, change of site manager - £158
- Vary, site to collectors - £46
- Vary, collectors to site - £46
How to apply
View the summary of the regulations.
Will tacit consent apply?
No. Please contact the city council if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period of time.
How to appeal
Please contact the city council in the first instance.
How to tell us about a changes in circumstances