All scrap metal dealers in the city council’s boundary require a licence under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.
You are a scrap metal dealer if you are:
- carrying on a business which consists wholly or partly in buying or selling scrap metal, whether or not the metal is sold in the form in which it was bought
- carrying on a business as a motor salvage operator
There are two types of licence:
- site licence - allows you to buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within the council area
- collectors licence - allows you to travel within the council area to collect scrap metal, you may not take this metal back to a site that you run within the council area in order to sell it.
- Site licence - £304
- Collectors licence - £156
- Renew site licence - £304
- Renew collectors licence - £156
- Vary, licensee name change - £46
- Vary, change of site - £270
- Vary, change of site manager - £158
- Vary, site to collectors - £46
- Vary, collectors to site - £46
How to apply
View the summary of the regulations.
Will tacit consent apply?
No. Please contact the city council if you have not heard from us within a reasonable period of time.
How to appeal
Please contact the city council in the first instance.
How to tell us about a changes in circumstances