Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Licensing - Club premises

Record details

In partnership with EUGO

To authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club you need a club premises certificate from your local authority.

Clubs are organisations where members have joined together for particular social, sporting or political purposes and then combined to buy alcohol in bulk as members of the organisation to supply in the club, or provide regulated entertainment.

They commonly include Labour, Conservative and Liberal Clubs, the Royal British Legion, other ex-services clubs, working mens clubs, social and sports clubs.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 56 calendar days (for new or variation applications).

How to apply

To apply and to access guidance notes go to our club premises form

An operating schedule will include details of:

  • the licensable activities
  • the times when the activities will take place
  • any other times when the premises will be open to the public
  • in the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for
  • whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or of the premises or both
  • the steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives
  • any other required information.

Applicants may be required to advertise their application and to give notice of the application to any other person or responsible body, eg the local authority, chief police officer or fire and rescue authority.

The licensing authority must grant the application, which can be subject to conditions. A hearing must be held if any representations are made in respect of the application. If a hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected.

The licensing authority will serve a notice of its decision on the applicant, any person who has made relevant representations (ie representations that were not deemed frivolous or vexatious) and the chief of police.

Applications can also be made to vary or transfer a licence. A hearing may have to be heard if representations are made or conditions relating to a transfer are not met.

Other applications that can be made are applications for an interim authority notice following the death, incapacity or insolvency of a licence holder or review applications.

For an application form to register with Norwich City Council, please contact our customer contact centre 0344 980 3333.

How to appeal

Appeals are made to a magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

Regulation summary

Summary of the regulation relating to this licence

More information

Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers (ALMR)
Broadcasting, Entertainment, Cinematograph and Theatre Union (BECTU)
Federation of Licensed Victuallers Associations (FLVA)

Feedback button
Feedback button