Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Council Tax bill FAQs

Answers to common questions about your Council Tax bill:

1. How can I pay?
Payment methods are listed on the back of your bill and you can choose the best option for you. We recommend Direct Debit as being the easiest way to pay.

2. How much do I need to pay?
The total amount for the 2024-25 year is in the ‘Total amount payable’ box on your bill and your instalment amounts are listed underneath this.

3. When are my instalments due?
Your bill will state the dates that your payments are due. If you pay by Direct Debit you will have selected a payment date. If you pay by any other method, your payment plan can be set for the 1, 8, 15 or 28 of each month. Please contact us if you wish to change your payment date.

4. Will my Direct Debit continue and how will I know if it has?
You can check your bill for your current payment method. Your Direct Debit should continue automatically unless you have cancelled it with your bank.

5. How can I set up a Direct Debit?
You can set up a direct debit online, alternatively you can call a customer service advisor on 0344 980 3333.

6. Why has the charge increased?
Council Tax is collected by Norwich City Council on behalf of three organisations:

  • Norfolk County Council (73% of the charge)
  • Norwich City Council (13% of the charge)
  • Norfolk Police Authority (14% of the charge).

Each organisation can decide whether to increase their portion of the bill based on their budgets for the new financial year. The budget reports can be found by contacting the individual authorities.

7. Why doesn’t my bill include the last payment I made?
Your bill was generated on 24 February 2024. If you have made any payments since 22 February 2024, they will have reduced your balance but will not be reflected on your bill.

8. Can I pay my Council Tax over 12 instalments?
Yes. You can choose to pay your Council Tax monthly over 10 or 12 months, six-monthly on 1 April and 1 October or annually on 1 April. Please contact us if you would like to change the frequency of your instalments to one of these plans.

9. Who decides which Council Tax band my property is in?
Bands are set by the Valuation Office. If you disagree with the band your property is currently being billed for, please contact the Valuation Office on 03000 501501 who will discuss with you how to submit an appeal. Alternatively you can submit an appeal online on

When the Valuation Office confirms to us the outcome of your appeal, we will amend your bill where necessary. You should continue to pay Council Tax based on your existing banding during this process.

7 March 2024

Feedback button
Feedback button