Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

New access to the highway

Planning permission is required for the creation of a new access onto a classified road. These include the inner and outer ring road and the main radial routes into the city. Any road with an ‘A’or ‘B’ number (eg A11, A140, B1108 etc) will be classified, along with certain roads which link ‘A’ and ‘B’ roads. In general small residential roads and cul-de-sacs will not be classified.  

For all new accesses (even if they don’t need planning permission) which involve works to the highway, such as dropped kerbs, you will need consent from the council as highway authority. 

More about dropped kerbs