Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Register to vote

Registering to vote is quick and simple. It means you have the right to vote at elections and it could also improve your credit rating.

Register to vote (GOV.UK)

Make sure you are always registered.

If you are entitled to vote, you must make sure that your name appears on the Register of Electors (Electoral Roll). You should also let us know if you move house or leave the area.

Being registered ensures that your right to vote is protected if an election is called at short notice. What’s more, your ability to obtain credit could be restricted if you are not on the register.

Accessible information

An Easy read voter registration form on GOV.UK is available to download and print. Post completed forms to us at: Elections office, Norwich City Council, St Peters Street, Norwich, NR2 1NH. 

A large print registration form is also available on the Electoral Commission’s website. 

You can request a printed copy of the forms at or call 0344 980 3333,

Who has to register to vote?

You must register to vote if you are a UK resident, aged 16 or over and a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen.

You can register only for the address where you are living. To ensure they can vote as soon as they reach 18, 16 or 17 year olds should also be registered. Qualifying Commonwealth citizens are those who have leave to enter or remain in the UK.

If you are unsure whether you or anyone in your household qualify to be included on the register, please visit the About my vote website.

If you are a student

You can register to vote at both your term-time address and your home address, if you wish. You'll need to make two separate applications.

Remember, it's a criminal offence to vote more than once in the same election. This means that you may vote in local elections from both addresses if they are for different local councils (as they are separate elections). You may only vote from one address for national elections (eg UK parliamentary election).

Norwich students - get more information about registering to vote here

If you live or are stationed overseas

Overseas electors (British citizens living permanently abroad) cannot vote at local government elections, but they can vote at UK Parliamentary elections for 15 years after leaving the UK.

Service voters and Crown Servants stationed overseas can vote in all elections.

Crown servant applications can be made online.

If you are in the Armed Forces (Army, Royal Navy or RAF) and posted abroad you can register at the address in the UK where you would be living if not posted overseas, or at an address where you have lived in the past. Service personnel posted abroad and their spouses or civil partners accompanying them can apply to register to vote.

Service voter applications can be made online or downloaded here.

For more information visit the Your Vote Matters website.

If you have no fixed abode

Please contact the elections office by emailing or calling 0344 980 3333 and they will be happy to help you register.

If you need to register to vote anonymously

If you think your name and address being on the electoral register could affect your safety, or the safety or someone in your household, you can register to vote anonymously.

Please contact the elections office by emailing or calling 0344 980 3333 and they will be happy to assist you.

Adding your name to the Register of Electors

You can add your name to the register by filling in the online register to vote form on the GOV.UK website.

The two versions of the register and your right to opt out

There are two registers. Why?

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The electoral register

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.

The open register

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. Any person, company or organisation can buy it. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. This does not affect your right to vote.

How do I tell you that I want to be included or not included on the open register?

Please send an email to:

Or write to us at:

Electoral Services
Norwich City Council
St Peters Street

You will need to give us your name and address and tell us whether you want to be included or excluded from the open register.

You can find information about both registers on the GOV.UK website.

Inspecting the register

You can inspect the full Register of Electors, under supervision only, at Norwich City Hall.

Please contact the elections office in advance to arrange an appointment by emailing or calling 0344 980 3333.

Privacy notice

Read the privacy notice to find out what we do with your personal information when you use this service.

Further information

If you need more comprehensive guidance about registering to vote, visit The Electoral Commission website.

Feedback button
Feedback button