Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Will I require a licence if I rent out, own or manage an HMO?

When you need a licence

You will require a licence for an HMO when all of the following apply:

  • there are shared amenities such as bathrooms, toilets or cooking facilities
  • it is occupied by five or more people (including children).

You will not require a licence if:

  • the HMO is managed or owned by a housing association, local authority, police, health service or fire authority
  • the property only consists of self-contained flats, (although please note that an individual flat will require a licence if it is an HMO in its own right occupied by five or more people)