Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

About local land charges

When buying a property or piece of land, your solicitor will submit a local land charges search which will show whether there are any legal restrictions affecting the land or property.

There are three types of searches:

Local land charges search

This consists of a search of the Local Land Charges Register. It reveals if there are any outstanding charges such as financial ones where money is owed to the council when work has been carried out on the property or land.

Other charges include tree preservation orders, renovation grants, conservation and listed buildings, road agreements, conditional planning applications and enforcement notices.

Local Land Charges searches can be obtained from HM Land Registry.

Form CON29

This is a questionnaire and the information comes from various council departments. It contains Part 1 standard questions revealing any road proposals or schemes, compulsory purchase orders, enforcement actions, building regulations or planning applications and formal/informal notices.

It also contains Part 2 optional enquiries such as public paths, noise abatement orders and pollution notices.

Request a local authority land charges search.

Personal search (environmental information request)

Anyone can make a personal search.

Local Land Charges searches can be obtained from HM Land Registry.

Historical planning information can be searched for on our land charges online system.

All searches come with the statutory protection under the Land Charges Legislation.

If you have an enquiry about ownership of land you should contact the Land Registry.

Personal search traffic report

This is available on request from  

Feedback button
Feedback button