Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Report an accident at work

The law requires that certain accidents, diseases, and other incidents, such as near misses, which happen at work, have to be reported to the Health and Safety Executive. This applies to employees and members of the public. The legal requirement to do this is known as RIDDOR.

The report informs the enforcing authority so they can identify where and how risks arise and whether they need to be investigated.

An accident book should be kept to record all accidents at work, even ones which don't need to be reported.

What needs to be reported

  • death of an employee on the premises, arising from a work-related accident, including an act of physical violence to a worker
  • major injuries to employees such as such as broken bones, dislocations or amputations
  • injuries resulting in an employee being away from work, or unable to perform duties, for more than seven consecutive days (not counting the day on which it happens). The report must be made within 15 days of the accident.
  • work-related injury to a member of public resulting in them being taken directly to hospital
  • dangerous occurrences, where something happens that doesn't result in a reportable injury, but which clearly could have done
  • disease suffered by an employee that is related to work activities

Read more about types of  reportable incidents on the HSE website.

Report an accident at work

All incidents can be reported to the HSE online or by telephone.

Make a RIDDOR report

Feedback button
Feedback button