Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Students registering to vote

Can students vote in the next election?

If you are studying and living in Norwich, you may also be able to vote in local election as long as your name is on the electoral register for your term-time address.

If you want to check to see if you're already registered to vote in Norwich contact Norwich City Council's elections office, below.

You can apply to have your name added to the Electoral Register if you are:

  • 18 or will become 18 before the end of the next register year (between 1 December - 30 November each year)
  • A British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union Member State citizen
  • Any students without access to the internet or who has difficulty accessing the website can request an 'Invitation to Register form' from the Electoral Services Office at the council. Alternatively register to vote by calling us on 0344 980 3333

Can I vote twice – at home and at university?

If your home and university addresses are in two different local authority areas, you can vote in local elections in both areas.

However, even if you are registered in two areas – at home and at university – you can only vote once in a general election.

It is a criminal offence to vote twice in a UK general election.

What do you need to register to vote?

Before registering to vote you need your National Insurance number ready. This can be found on any of the following documents:

  • National Insurance card
  • Payslips
  • Letters about benefits or tax credits
  • P60s
  • Letters about pensions

National Insurance numbers and dates of birth are used to verify a person against Department of Works and Pension records before the Electoral Registration office can approve an application for registration. If we cannot verify those details, we may then write to you requesting further information.

Register to vote now!

Register to vote

Feedback button
Feedback button