Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) application form

What is the DHP scheme?

The scheme is intended to help those who have special circumstances and need extra help with rent. It’s available to people who are getting housing benefit or housing element of Universal Credit who can’t pay their full rent. It’s usually considered on a short-term basis.

These payments are discretionary and each case is considered individually. We cannot award DHP for some of the charges included in some rents such as water, fuel and food.

DHP can also be considered for rent in advance or rental deposits in some circumstances. You will need to provide evidence of this.

When you apply, we will need the following proof

If you do not supply this information, we may not be able to consider your application.

  • Evidence to support all details on the income and expenditure form.
  • If you have a bank account we need two full consecutive month's statements for all bank/building society/post office accounts held, whether or not they have any money in them.
  • Evidence of any other savings or investments including premium bonds, shares, ISAs etc.
  • Any other evidence you feel is relevant to your application.

You must answer all questions on the form otherwise we cannot consider your application 

If you would like help to complete this form please contact us on 0344 980 3333 or email

Once you have started, you must continue to the end and submit the form. Please note that you only have 30 minutes to fill out each page and you will not be able to come back to the form at a later time because your answers will not be saved.

For more advice with budgeting, debt and moving

Organisation Website Telephone
Citizens Advice Bureau 0800 144 8848
StepChange Debt Charity 0800 138 1111
National Debtline 0808 808 4000
Shelter 0844 515 1860
Feedback button
Feedback button