You must hold a driver’s licence issued by Norwich City Council to drive a licensed hackney carriage or private hire vehicle in Norwich.
Who can apply
You can apply for a driver’s licence if you:
- are over 18 years old
- have held a full driving licence for 12 months.
We need to make sure that you are suitable to hold a driver’s licence by checking your medical history, criminal conduct, motoring convictions and any improper behaviour.
Please read the Guidance on determining suitability to check the likelihood of you getting a licence before you apply.
Before you apply for a licence you will need to pass a:
- driving assessment
- wheelchair assessment (hackney carriages only)
- Knowledge Test.
You also need to attend a safeguarding training course which we will book you on to.
Only after successfully meeting the application criteria and paying the required fee will you be issued with a driver’s licence.
The licence will be normally be valid for three years.
How to appy
To apply for a licence you’ll need to complete the online application form and book an appointment with us to bring in the supporting documents.
Follow the steps 1 to 7 below to ensure you provide us with the correct documentation, otherwise we cannot accept your application.
1. Download and complete the following supporting documents:
2. Ask the doctor with access to your medical records to complete the medical certificate questionnaire within one month of you applying for your licence.
3. Provide a passport-size photograph of yourself within three months of you applying.
4. Ensure your DVLA driver’s licence (photo card) is in date and shows your current address.
5. You will need two forms of identification eg passport and utility bill (for gas, electric or telephone showing your current address). See what other documents can be accepted.
6. You will need your original Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate if you have already subscribed to the DBS update service. Your application fee will be reduced by £44.
If you already have an enhanced DBS certificate as a result of another application or employment, this may be used if it is less that one month old at the time of making the application.
7. Provide one item of evidence of your National Insurance number so that we can perform a search on the National register of taxi licence refusals and revocations:
- P45 or P60.
- Bank statements showing payments by direct debit for Class 2 National Insurance contributions or receipt of state benefits.
- Pay slips or salary statement or works pension statement. These must show your National Insurance number.
- Official letter sent to you by the Department for Work and Pensions, Jobcentre or HMRC tax department (not hand written).
- National Insurance card.
8. When you have carried out steps 1 to 7, please complete an online application form and book an appointment with our licensing team to bring in your supporting documents.
At the same time you will need to pay an initial fee using a credit or debit card. Fees include the cost of the DBS check and safeguarding training:
- Hackney carriage: £464 (additional fee to pay prior to collection £103)
- Private hire: £336 (additional fee to pay prior to collection £90)
At the appointment
We will check through your documents and complete a DBS form with you if you have not already subscribed to the DBS update service.
We'll also book you on a safeguarding training course which you are required to complete before your application is processed.
DBS update service
This service allows you to keep your standard or enhanced DBS certificate up to date and allows us to check your certificate online. Within 30 days from the date of issue of your DBS certificate you must sign up to the DBS update service, at a cost of £13 per year.
If you do not sign up you will need to apply for a DBS check every three years, at a cost of £44.
Before you apply for a licence you will need to take an approved driving assessment which you arrange yourself. Where you can take your test.
As part of your application you will need to pass a Knowledge Test, which you can book and pay for online.
What happens next
Only when the application form and supporting documentation are complete can the application be processed. This may take up to 30 days, but could take longer if there are any motoring or criminal convictions to consider requiring a referral to the regulatory sub-committee.
When finalised we will email you a link to book an appointment online to collect your driver’s licence. At the same time you will need to pay the remaining additional fee online.
If you have any questions about your application, email email@example.com or call 01603 989400.