Your driver’s licence would normally be valid for three years from the date we grant it.
It’s your responsibility to apply in plenty of time before your current licence expires.
Your licence will not be issued on the same day that you submit your renewal application.
If you don't renew your licence
If you don’t renew your licence before it expires then you won’t be a licensed driver.
If your current licence has expired you’ll need to restart the application process and apply for a new licence.
If you’re unsure whether you’ll be able to renew on time for any reason, then contact the licensing team.
How to apply
To renew a licence you'll need to complete the online application form and book an appointment with us to bring in the supporting documents.
Follow the steps 1 to 6 below to ensure you provide us with the correct documentation, otherwise we cannot accept your application.
1. Download and complete the following supporting documents:
2. Ask the doctor with access to your medical records to complete the medical certificate questionnaire within one month of you applying for your licence.
3. Ensure your DVLA driver’s licence (photo card) is in date and shows your current address.
4. You will need two forms of identification eg passport and utility bill (for gas, electric or telephone showing your current address). See what other documents can be accepted.
5. You will need your original Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate if you have already subscribed to the DBS update service. Your renewal fee will be reduced by £44.
6. Provide one item of evidence of your National Insurance number so that we can perform a search on the National register of taxi licence refusals and revocations:
- P45 or P60.
- Bank statements showing payments by direct debit for Class 2 National Insurance contributions or receipt of state benefits.
- Pay slips or salary statement or works pension statement. These must show your National Insurance number.
- Official letter sent to you by the Department for Work and Pensions, Jobcentre or HMRC tax department (not hand written).
- National Insurance card.
7. When you have carried out steps 1 to 6, please complete an online application form and book an appointment with our licensing team to bring in your supporting documents. At the same time you will need to pay the fee using a credit or debit card:
- Hackney carriage: £319 (includes £44 DBS check)
- Private hire: £262 (includes £44 DBS check)
At the appointment
We will verify your application and supporting documents and complete a DBS form with you if you have not already subscribed to the DBS update service.
DBS update service
This service allows you to keep your standard or enhanced DBS certificate up to date and allows us to check your certificate online. Within 30 days from the date of issue of your DBS certificate you must sign up to the DBS update service, at a cost of £13 per year.
If you do not sign up you will need to apply for a DBS check every three years, at a cost of £44.
What happens next
Only when the application form and supporting documentation are complete can the application be processed. This may take up 30 days, but could be longer if there are motoring or criminal convictions to consider requiring a referral to the regulatory sub-committee. When the licence is granted it will be posted to you.
If you have any questions about your application, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01603 989400.