Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Safer Neighbourhoods Initiative Community Fund

The Safer Neighbourhood Initiative Community Fund has been set up by the council to help fund practical and sustainable solutions to locally identified and evidenced problems relating to crime, antisocial behaviour and community safety in neighbourhoods across Norwich.

Please read through the guidance document to find out more information about the community fund and the application process.

Please email with your interest in the scheme and for information about application deadlines

Alley gates

Our approach to alley-gating is informed by guidance from the national Safer Streets Fund's Crime prevention toolkit.

Alley gates on non-Norwich City Council housing land

If you wish to apply for an alley gate or a repair to an existing alley gate (on non-city council housing land), please check that the highway is not adopted before applying. 

If the alley is adopted by Norfolk County Council, it’s unlikely that you will be permitted to install a gate, as that would require a Stopping Up Order or Public Spaces Protection Order.

If the alley is not adopted, then please complete an alley gate application form.

The alley gate must benefit more than one property. Norwich City Council will cover 100% of the cost of the gate.

A response will be provided within 10 working days. Once approved in principle the lead resident who submits the application will need to obtain written consent from the owners of all properties served by the alley. We have drafted a consent letter to help you with this; the lead resident also needs to complete the consent form as well (assuming they are the owner).

If properties are rented out through an agency, then we may be able to assist in working with them to gain consents.

Alley gates on Norwich City Council housing land

The process for installing gates on city council housing land is different because of the requirement for the city council to maintain access to the alleys for inspections and contractors and because of the requirement to manage keys as properties are relet.

For these reasons we may only install a boundary marking gate rather than a lockable gate. That decision will be taken made when the initial request is received.

As the land and alley is the responsibility of Norwich City Council there is no requirement for everyone to consent to the installation of a gate. However, we will consult with all households that will be affected to make sure any gate does not impede access for those with limited mobility or other requirements.

If we find that the installation of a gate of any kind causes problems for residents then we will try to work around that, but ultimately we may not be able to install a gate.

An initial request for a gate should be made using the Estates Improvement request form. Requests can be submitted by residents and ward councillors.

The request will be considered by our Housing Estates and Community Safety teams and feedback and decisions provided within 10 working days.

Community fund (general) application

For anything other than an alley gate, you will need to complete the expression of interest form to start the application process.

Once your expression of interest has been acknowledged and approved by the safer neighbourhoods coordinator you will need to complete an the community fund (general) application form.

Privacy notice

Please read the privacy notice for details on what we do with your personal information.

Feedback button
Feedback button