Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Housing compliance

Frequently asked questions

How do I find out if my property is affected?

We have written to all 17,000 tenants and leaseholders to explain the action we are taking. We will contact you directly if any outstanding inspection or work is required at your home.

What do I do if I have concerns about the safety of my home?

Please don’t worry. If an inspection or work is required at your home, we will be in touch with you directly to arrange this. If you notice other repairs that may be required in your home please continue to report these in the usual way. Report a repair.

What are my responsibilities as a leaseholder?

This varies between different leases but, in general, you will be responsible for safety checks inside your property, such as electrical safety, while the council is responsible for checks in communal areas and the building as a whole, such as fire safety. Find out more about leasehold properties.

Why did the council self-refer to the Regulator of Social Housing?

Following internal review in June we became aware of concerns in key areas. We have started work on an urgent improvement plan and, as part of that work, self-reported the issues to the regulator and will continue to work with them.

I rent a property from a council leaseholder. How can I find out if my home is affected?

The landlord of your property (the leaseholder) is responsible for the gas and electrical safety of your home. The council is responsible for the electrical and fire safety of communal areas. 

We will be in touch with your landlord if your property is affected and you will be contacted to arrange access to complete any outstanding checks. 

What action has the Regulator of Social Housing taken?

The regulator published a notice after finding we didn’t meet their requirements in some areas of the Home Standard.

What is the Home Standard?

This sets expectations for registered providers of social housing to provide tenants with quality accommodation and a cost-effective repairs and maintenance service.

How will the work programme be monitored and progress reported?

A new housing compliance board, whose members include senior council officers and elected councillors, will meet every month to ensure the work programme is monitored and delivered.

Details on the progress of the work programme will be shared at relevant cabinet meetings to update councillors. 

How do I get in touch if I have further concerns or queries?

If you have any questions or concerns complete the Housing compliance form, email or call 0344 980 3333 (select option 3 for housing, then option 5 for housing compliance) Monday to Friday, between 9am and 4pm.