Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Highways advice for developers

We offer the following services to help developers with highway matters:

  • Please ensure you obtain the necessary advice and consents before carrying out any work on the highway.
  • Highway advice is offered free of charge as part of the planning service for planning pplications. As part of the construction process we provide liaison for developers on highway adoption, Traffic Regulation Orders and Streetworks permits.
  • Contact us for a Developers Guide to Highway Matters

Streetworks permits

Hoardings, skips, road closures, diversions for construction purposes

Construction traffic management

Routing and management of construction traffic advice from sites.

Highway adoptions; section 38 and 278 agreements

Implementation of highway adoptions; construction specification of adopted highway and materials we accept. Shared surface street design guide is available.

Overbuilds (Balconies, overhanging structures)

Section 177 licenses

Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs)

TROs are required for all waiting restrictions (yellow lines) on the highway; allow up to six months for legal and approvals process to be completed.  A TRO fee is payable for legal costs, administration and preparation of the TRO and construction drawings for signs and lines. Developers appoint a contractor to implement signs and lines.

Refuse and recycling provision

Bin storage advice note for developers is available.

Bins may be purchased from Norwich City Council when the development is about to be occupied. Contact us for details.

Street naming and numbering

Free advice is available.

Street numbering and naming

Street trees

We can advise on the tree pit specification and the tree species. A developer contribution for tree maintenance is normally included in any S278/s38 or S106 agreement

Sustainable urban drainage

Contact Norfolk County Council: Information for developers 

Streetlighting and electrical highway signs

AMEY provide adopted street lighting for Norfolk County Council. New lighting schemes on adopted roads are generally not required, any lighting is now discretionary.

Street lighting

Contact Norwich City Council: