A principal concept of the Gambling Act 2005 is the protection of children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.
To explore what risks are posed to young and vulnerable people, all operators of gambling premises are required to undertake a risk assessment for their premises based on the nature of their operation and local area and population. For example the proximity of schools and whether the business is located on a walking route for local schools.
Local area profile
Licensing authorities are recommended to complete and map their own assessment of local risks and concerns by developing a local area profile.
This will help inform industry operators of specific risks that need to be addressed in their own risk assessments, which will form part of any new licence application, or an application to vary a licence.
The document includes metrics for:
- Businesses and organisations that indicate an area where there is financial hardship
- Pathway Partners
- Homelessness Support
- Mental Health Proxies
- Community centres
- Treatment centres.
- Places of worship
- GP practices
- Ward information for 10-24 age group, ethnic minorities, Universal Credit and Job Seekers
These metrics are updated quarterly.
Local area profile map and register
The local area profile map and register includes:
- the area profile metrics indicating the presence and concentration of groups vulnerable to harm from gambling
- the licenced premises register
Using the map and register
To search for premises details, either:
- Click on an icon on the map
- Use the search facility, then zoom out to see the surrounding area and any licenced premises.
- Click on the house icon next to a premises in the list below the map to plot it. Click the map marker and then the arrow head for licence details. Zoom out of the map to see the surrounding area.
Reset the map between searches by clicking on the home icon (top left side of the map).
Click on the top right hand icon of the map. Use the layers to add and remove:
- Ward boundaries
- Licensing (ensure this is checked to plot the following
• Licensed premises
• Local Area Profile metrics