Consent is required before a building can be demolished, extended or altered in any way that would affect its character - either inside or out. This can include buildings and structures that surround the property – for instance garden walls or outbuildings.
Contact the conservation and design team for advice before starting work. The types of projects that may need consent includes (not a comprehensive list):
- changing windows or doors
- putting in dormer windows or rooflights
- putting up satellite dishes and burglar alarms
- altering internal walls or sub-dividing rooms
- any alterations to features like fireplaces and cornicing
- paint the exterior of the property – this might require listed building consent especially if the building has not been painted before or if the proposed new colour affects the character and appearance of the building.