Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich
Coronavirus: advice and support

New national restrictions were introduced on Thursday 5 November. Let’s continue to work together to help prevent the spread of the virus and Protect Norwich.

Latest information

Listed buildings

When listed building consent is needed

Consent is required before a building can be demolished, extended or altered in any way that would affect its character - either inside or out. This can include buildings and structures that surround the property – for instance garden walls or outbuildings.

Contact the conservation and design team for advice before starting work. The types of projects that may need consent includes (not a comprehensive list):

  • changing windows or doors
  • putting in dormer windows or rooflights
  • putting up satellite dishes and burglar alarms
  • altering internal walls or sub-dividing rooms
  • any alterations to features like fireplaces and cornicing
  • paint the exterior of the property – this might require listed building consent especially if the building has not been painted before or if the proposed new colour affects the character and appearance of the building.