A listed building is one that has been placed on statutory lists because of its special architectural or historical interest. Norwich City Council is responsible for enforcing legislation on buildings that have been listed in Norwich.
There are about 1,500 listed buildings in Norwich.
Reasons for buildings being listed:
- of architectural or historic interest
- demonstrate a close historical association with nationally important people or events
- illustrate important aspects of the nation’s social, economic, cultural or military history
- part of an important example of planning
Grades of listed buildings:
- Grade I are of exceptional interest
- Grade II* are particularly important buildings of more than special interest.
- Grade II are of special interest and every effort should be made to preserve them