Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Brexit and leaving the European Union

EU Settlement Scheme

If you’re an European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss Citizen, you and your family will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) for settled or pre-settled status by 30 June 2021 to protect your rights.

You must have been a resident in the UK before 31 December 2020 to be eligible for the scheme.

It is free to apply.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows you and your family members to get the immigration status you will need to continue to live, work and study in the UK. It means you will continue to be eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you meet the requirements and want to apply

The government has produced a factsheet with more information about the scheme and the support that is available to people who are applying. Translations of this factsheet are also available.

Introduction to EUSS factsheet

Translations of the EUSS factsheet

What you will need to apply

To apply to the EUSS, you will need a current valid EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen.

Verifying your identity

Applicants need to scan their identity document using the EU Exit:ID Document Check app available for compatible apple and android phones or tablets.

The Home Office has produced the following short video, showing how to use the EU Exit ID document check app to verify your identity, using a valid biometric ID document.

Completing your application

You will then need to complete the rest of your application online, using either a phone or a computer.

To prove your residence in the UK you will need to provide your National Insurance number, if you have one. You may need to upload additional documents to your application.

Get help with your application