The full council tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a property.
If only one adult lives in a property, the bill is reduced by 25%. You may be able to claim single person discount if:
- you live alone (aged 18 or over)
- other people living in the property are under 18 years old and you are the only adult
- other adults living in the property are not counted (disregarded) for council tax purposes.
Apply for a single person discount
. You will need to provide:
- the date from when you’ve lived alone at the address
- your council tax account number
If you’re receiving benefits you may be eligible to apply for council tax reduction.
If you’re claiming housing benefit and someone has moved in or out of your household, you need to tell us about it as soon as possible, on the household change form.