Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Access to CCTV records

If you believe you are the victim of a crime or a crime has been committed, you should report it to the police in the first instance. CCTV can be accessed directly by the police when they investigate crime, for which there is no charge, and the police have their own process for doing this as part of their investigation.

If a police investigation is taking place, we cannot access and supply CCTV footage in relation to the investigation; you should make this request directly to the police.

Requesting CCTV footage from the council

See the map of camera locations

Public space CCTV footage in Norwich is held for a maximum of 31 days, unless a request is received to retain it longer. It is therefore very important that any request to review or obtain a copy of footage is made promptly following an incident, to prevent it being automatically overwritten by the system.

Any requests for CCTV within a Norwich City Council car park are dealt with directly by our parking team. Please send the full details of the incident including date, time and specific location to

Request CCTV footage of yourself

Under the UK's data protection legislation, you have a right to see CCTV images if they are in that footage – also known as being the ‘data subject’. 

It is important that we do not compromise anyone else's privacy so you will only be able to view CCTV footage of yourself that does not contain images of third parties, compromise their privacy or enable you to identify others (eg car registration details).

You are entitled to have a copy of the recording if it will not become part of a live criminal investigation, civil proceedings or a complaint. If this is the case, you can request this via a data subject access request form.

Images of others would need to be edited or blanked out to make sure that no one else can be identified. This process is costly and one which we have the right to refuse to undertake if the costs are disproportionate. Alternatively, the costs may be passed on to the person who has made the request.

Request access to CCTV footage

Request CCTV footage to use to resolve legal matters and disputes

In civil cases and complaints where the police are not involved, such as damage to vehicles or traffic collisions, these requests will only be processed if they are received from a solicitor, lawyer, barrister or insurance company, via a Data Protection Act 2018 Schedule 2(5) Exemption request form.

We will contact the applicant and let them know the outcome of their request. If we find the footage requested, there will be a charge of £100 payable before this is released. 

Schedule 2(5) Exemption request

Feedback button
Feedback button