Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Household bills support

Council Tax bills 

Let us know as soon as possible if you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, as well as rent or any other money paid to the council – we will do everything we can to help.

We aim to ensure residents receive the support that they need to stay in their homes, and we are keen to work with people to help them to pay their debts, offering budgeting support and payment plans.

If you are struggling to pay, see our Difficulty paying council tax pages.

Energy bills

  • Citizen's Advice has a lot of information on their website for help with energy bills. Go to the Grants and benefits for paying energy bills page and scroll down to find a list of suppliers offering grants and links to their websites in the 'Grants to help pay off your energy debts' section.
  • You might be entitled to £150 off your winter electricity bill (2023/24) through the Warm Home Discount Scheme. It's a one-time discount from early October 2023 to 31 March 2024. If you qualify, you'll get a letter by early January 2024. To qualify, you need to be in receipt of the Guarantee Credit element from Pension Credit or be in receipt of a means tested benefit or tax credits. If you don't get a letter but think you qualify, contact the Warm Home Discount Scheme by 29 February 2024 by calling 0800 030 9322.
  • The Winter Fuel Payment offers financial assistance between £250 and £600 for heating bills if you were born before 25 September 1957. Additionally, an extra amount known as the 'Pensioner Cost of Living Payment,' ranging from £150 to £300, will be provided during the winter of 2023 to 2024. This supplement is in addition to any other Cost of Living Payments associated with your benefits or tax credits. Check if you’re entitled on
  • The Government’s Improving Energy Efficiency page provides advice on energy conservation, offering suggestions for home upgrades to enhance energy efficiency. Additionally, there's a helpline available for further assistance: 0800 098 7950.
  • Get advice on lowering your energy bills from Better Together Norfolk. For further information, contact their advice line 0300 303 3920.
  • Norfolk Warm Homes provides advice and grants to keep your home warm and save energy.
  • Community Action Norfolk runs a group buying scheme to keep down the cost of buying oil, called Thinking Fuel

Energy bills and prepayment meters

Do you know your rights when discussing debts with your energy supplier? Are you worried about the prospect of being forced to have a prepayment meter installed?

Your gas or electricity supplier might tell you they’re going to move you to prepayment if you owe them money. If your supplier is trying to move you to prepayment, they must follow rules set by the energy regulator, Ofgem. Read this guide from Citizens Advice which explains when you can refuse to have a prepayment meter installed, how to complain if you think you are being treated unfairly, and how to get extra help.

Water bills

Anglian Water's Extra Care Support service is designed to assist individuals facing challenges in paying their water bills. The support includes services such as meter reading for those encountering difficulties, providing advance notice of planned interruptions to water supply, and offering aid during these interruptions. Their 'Extra Care Assessment' also includes help to make sure you get their cheapest tariff, can identify any discounts you may be eligible for, and offers payment plans that flex around you.

Anglian Water's Priority Services Register is a free and ongoing service that provides practical assistance. This includes assiatnce for anyone with accessibility requirements, a discability, or parents with young children.

Phone and internet bills

Ofcom offers guidance for anyone struggling with phone bill payments. Social tariffs are available for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits.

Feedback button
Feedback button