Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Universal Credit

Renting and Universal Credit

All working age tenants that come to make a new claim for one of the six benefits will need to claim Universal Credit. Exceptions for this include:

  • those living in Supported Accommodation or Local Authority placed Temporary Accommodation who will still have to claim Housing Benefit for help with housing costs.
  • those entitled to Severe Disability Premium will not be able to claim Universal Credit and will need to claim Housing Benefit for help with their housing costs.

Norwich City Council tenants

Our tenants have access to our specialist team of budgeting and money advisers. Speak to your housing income officer or complete a referral form

All Norwich-based tenants 

Our housing team can provide free specialist advice and assistance on matters relating to housing for private tenants and home owners faced with losing their home.

More information about rent and Universal Credit and to make a claim.

Landlords and Universal Credit

Universal Credit includes a housing element that will replace Housing Benefit. This is paid directly to the tenant who is responsible for paying their own rent. 

The Money Advice Service summarises the changes and key dates landlords need to know about if they have tenants who are currently on Housing Benefit.