Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Clinical, hazardous and trade waste

Clinical, hazardous and DIY waste is not accepted in the household waste collections in Norwich.

Disposing of clinical waste

This is usually associated with medical needs like wound dressings. If treatment has been prescribed, you or your surgery/hospital will need to make arrangements for proper disposal.

Please get in touch using the contact us form, or by calling 0344 980 3333, to make arrangements for collection in other circumstances.

Hazardous waste

If you have paint in good condition, you could offer it to friends and family or advertise on community notice boards such as Norfolk Freegle or Gumtree.

If you cannot reuse your paint – remove the lid and dry it out (if necessary by adding something absorbent, like cat litter). Once dry, you can put the paint cans in your general waste bin. You can also take your paint along to one of the household hazardous waste days held annually at some recycling centres.

Household hazardous waste days

These are held by Norfolk County Council on specific weekends in early autumn each year. They allow you to dispose of certain hazardous household items at specific recycling centres free of charge. For more information visit Norfolk County Council's website.

New trade waste service

For the first time, small businesses and charities can now dispose of their trade waste at seven of Norfolk County Council’s biggest recycling centres - Thetford, King’s Lynn, Dereham, Ketteringham, Mayton Wood, Hempton and Caister.

This new paid for service is part of a package of changes designed to make the county council’s recycling network more efficient. Charities and small businesses like house clearance, gardening, cleaning companies and home improvement traders can pay to dispose of green waste, construction and demolition waste, and much more. See more about trade waste.