Find out what identification you need to vote in person at polling stations on election day.
The government has introduced new rules for voters at elections from May 2023.
From 4 May 2023 onwards, all voters are required to show photographic identification (Voter ID) at polling stations before they are given a ballot paper.
Find out more about voting and bringing ID on the Electoral Commission website.
You are not required to provide photo ID for postal voting.
Voter ID you can use to vote
Acceptable forms of photographic Voter ID will include:
- Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
- Driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state
- Biometric immigration document
- Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
- Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
- Blue Badge
- National identity card issued by an EEA state
- Older Person’s Bus Pass
- Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
- Oyster 60+ Card
- Freedom Pass
- Scottish National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland
- 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
- Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales
- Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland
- Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland
- Voter Authority Certificate or a temporary Voter Authority Certificate
If your ID has expired it will still be accepted as long as the photograph is still a good likeness of you.
Get free Voter ID for voting
If you do not have any of the accepted forms of Voter ID, you will be able to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate in person, by post or online from 16 January 2023.
Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate online
This is a free photo ID document specific for the purposes of voting.
We recommend that you do this in good time ahead of voter identification first being required in polling stations. The deadline to apply for Voter Authority Certificate is 5pm, 25 April 2023.
The first time this will be asked for will be the local election on Thursday 4 May 2023.