In 2015, the council’s third environmental strategy was published. The strategy ran until December 2019 and identified a number of areas as fundamental to the council in reducing both its own carbon footprint and that of Norwich residents, businesses, and visitors.
The strategy delivered a detailed action plan containing over 120 actions.
Below is a snapshot of some of our recent environmental achievements, coming off the back of our previous priorities:
- 60% reduction in operational CO2 emissions since 2008
- 48% reduction in citywide CO2 emissions since 2008
- 3.2% decrease in household waste
- 2.6% increase in recycling since 2013
- 40% increase in people cycling since 2013
- 100+ new Passivhaus homes built - and won the RIBA Stirling prize
- 23.8% of people in Nowich walk to work
- 100% fully renewable electricity provided by our white label energy provider Roar Power
- 80% Friends of the Earth rated our overall approach to tackling climate change