Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Planning privacy notices

Planning Services Privacy Notice

About us

Norwich City Council is the data controller for Planning Services and we have a lawful obligation to process your personal information under the following statutory provisions:

  • The Town and Country Planning Act 1990
  •  Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004
  • The Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015
  • The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015
  • Local Land Charges Act 1975
  • Localism Act 2011

You may contact our data protection and information security officer by emailing or by calling 0344 980 3333.

What will we do with your data?

We will use it to process planning applications, communicate with you about planning matters, produce and monitor planning policy, enforce planning control, process tree preservation orders, provide advice about planning matters, process asset of community value nominations and to process planning obligations.

We intend to keep your data indefinitely as stated in our retention policy available on our website.

Commenting on planning applications

You can comment on planning applications directly on our planning application public access website by email or by post. All comments will be available as public information. On receipt, our support team will check all comments for sensitive information or information which identifies an individual. Comments which do not contain sensitive information or information which identifies an individual will appear in the public comments section of the application online at

The process of checking the content of comments means your comments will not appear on the website immediately but will appear up to a few days after submission. Comments which contain sensitive information or information which identifies an individual will not appear online but will still be available on request (this may be redacted).

Comments on planning applications will be retained indefinitely, though can be removed on request, following the determination of the application.

What are your rights?

You have the right to request access to your personal information and make a data protection request to:

  • ask for errors to be corrected
  • restrict how your information is used
  • object to how it is processed
  • request that your data is deleted.

You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office if you are not happy with how your data is processed.

What are the consequences of you not providing data?

If you do not provide the data required it is unlikely we will be able to process the planning service to which it relates.

How will we share your data?

Information provided for planning matters is available for public viewing and is published online at or We may also share your data internally with other council departments:

  • All City Councillors
  • ARP
  • Business Relation and Procurement
  • City Growth and Development
  • Citywide Services
  • Communications
  • Culture and Events
  • Customer Services
  • Democratic and Elections
  • Economic Development
  • Environmental Strategy
  • Highways
  • HR
  • IT
  • Leisure and Sports Development
  • Neighbourhood Housing
  • Parking
  • Planning
  • Private Sector Housing
  • Strategy and Transformation
  • Tourism Development
  • Transportation and Network

and externally with:

  • Anglian Water
  • Broads Authority
  • Broadland District Council
  • Cathedral Fabric Commission
  • Civil Aviation Authority
  • Centre For The Protection Of Rural England - Norfolk
  • CNC Building Control
  • Countryside Agency
  • Defence Infrastructure Organisation Safeguarding
  • Environment Agency
  • Gardens Trust
  • Historic Churches Trust
  • Highways Agency
  • Health & Safety Executive
  • Limesurvey (customer feedback surveys)
  • Local Government Ombudsman
  • National Grid
  • Natural England
  • Network Rail
  • New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership
  • Norfolk County Council
  • Norfolk County Historic Environment Services
  • Norfolk Fire Service
  • Norfolk Gardens Trust
  • Local Government Association
  • Planning Inspectorate
  • Planning Portal
  • South Norfolk Council
  • Six National Amenity Societies - The Ancient Monuments Society, The Council for British Archaeology, The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, The Georgian Group, The Victorian Society, The Twentieth Century Society and The Theatres Trust
  • Churches Conservation Trust (National)
  • Churches Conservation Trust (South East)
  • UK Power Ltd
  • Valuation Office Agency
  • Yare Valley Society

The statutory provisions listed above may require us to share your details with other third parties not included in this list.

Apart from where previously stated, we do not pass your details to third parties unless we are lawfully able to do so for the prevention and detection of crime and fraud, or for the collection of taxes.

Feedback button
Feedback button