Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is delivered by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and will replace some benefits.

Which benefits does Universal Credit replace?

  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support

Who can claim

People of working-age are no longer able to claim the six benefits listed above and will need to claim Universal Credit instead. There are exceptions for Housing Benefit if you live in certain supported or temporary accommodation. You can find more detailed information about eligibility for Universal Credit on the GOV.UK website.

If you are already claiming at least one of these benefits and your circumstances do not change, you will be informed by the DWP when you need to move onto Universal Credit. 

What is different about Universal Credit?

  • It is a single monthly payment
  • It is paid directly into your bank or building society account
  • It includes any help towards paying your rent
  • You need to claim Universal Credit online

Because it is different to existing benefits and tax credits, you will need to get ready for Universal Credit as soon as you can.

More information on Universal Credit

Feedback button
Feedback button