Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

House exchanges

If you are a Norwich City Council tenant with a secure tenancy and considering a move, one option may be to exchange or swap your home with another council or housing association tenant (called a mutual exchange).

You may want to downsize or upsize to meet your family needs or move to be nearer to family/friends or work. Whatever the reason, a mutual exchange could be a fast and easy way to find a new home.

How to get started

When you sign up on the House Exchange website you can search for homes that match your requirements.

Register for FREE

You may also want to read our tenants' guide to mutual exchange which provides:

  • information on alternative ways to find someone to mutual exchange with
  • the mutual exchange process
  • the reasons why we may refuse
  • your legal responsibilities

Apply for an exchange

When you have agreed with all parties involved in the exchange that you want to go ahead and swap homes you should all ask for a mutual exchange application form. All parties need to complete and return these to us. We will not consider any application until we have received all forms, which must be fully completed and signed.

Mutual exchange application form

Once completed forms have been received from all parties involved in the exchange, the council will confirm within 42 days whether the exchange can go ahead.