Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

When does CIL apply?

Many developments will be liable for CIL, including:

  • All development resulting in 100 square metres or more of new build. Includes new/replacement buildings and extensions to buildings and is based on gross internal floorspace.
  • All development regardless of size that results in the creation of a new dwelling, either through conversion or new build (except the conversion of a single dwelling house into two or more separate dwellings).
  • The conversion of a building that is no longer in lawful use.
  • Development commenced under ‘general consent’ – this includes permitted development rights granted under the General Permitted Development Order 1995.

The guidance notes provide more information about CIL and the circumstances when certain development may be exempt. They also guide you through the CIL process, where applicable.

More information about CIL is available on the Planning Portal.

External links

Greater Norwich Growth Board
Planning portal

Feedback button
Feedback button