Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich
Covid alert level for Norwich

The government confirmed on 12 October 2020 that Norwich is in Tier 1 (medium) of the new 3-tier system. Let’s all pull together to help prevent the spread of the virus and avoid further restrictions.

Read more

Highways privacy notices

Highway Insurance Claims Privacy Notice

About us

Norwich City Council is the data controller for highway insurance claims made agaist the council, and we process your data for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the council as a public authority.

Where your claim is made against Norfolk County Council, the city council acts as a data processor, Norfolk County Council being the data controller.

If you are unsure who is dealing with your claim, you may contact our highways team by emailing, or our data protection and information security officer by emailing or by calling 0344 980 3333.

What will we do with your data?

We use it to process the information you provide us to assist with the investigation of a claim. 

We intend to keep your data for seven years after all obligations/settlements are concluded, as stated in our Retention Schedule available on our website.

What are your rights?

You have the right to request access to your personal information to:

  • ask for errors to be corrected
  • restrict how your information is used
  • object to how it is processed
  • request that your data is deleted.

You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office if you are not happy with how your data is processed.

What are the consequences of you not providing data?

We may be unable to investigate your claim. 

How will we share your data?

Information provided for highway insurance claims is shared with LGSS, Norfolk County Council and solicitors in order that they may carry out their statutory duties. Depending on the claim, it may also be shared with the Insurance Database Service (for updating the claims and underwriting exchange register) and with the Association of British Insurers (for updating the motor insurance anti-fraud and theft register). We are lawfully required to share your details for the prevention and detection of crime and fraud, or for the collection of taxes.

Government legislation also requires all claims made for personal injury to be registered with the Department of Work & Pensions.