Skip to content Skip to search
My Norwich

Dealing with household waste


  • plan before you start any household project, think about how you will minimise waste and what you’ll do with unavoidable waste consider recycling, or reuse for unwanted items
  • take your waste to a local recycling centre. Norfolk recycling centres will take most household bulky waste for free including sofas, white goods and other electrical items. Please note, you now have to pay to take DIY construction and demolition waste to all Norfolk recycling centres. See for more details
  • arrange a collection with Norwich City Council who provide a bulky waste collection service for Norwich residents for a small charge
  • pay for someone who is authorised to accept your waste to take your bulky items (see ‘employing a registered waste collector’ below)

Do not:

  • place any extra waste at the side or top of your bin as this will not be collected by the council
  • deposit your waste on the highway or land that is not yours – this is fly-tipping
  • burn waste (unless you have an exemption certificate or permit from the Environment Agency.) Householders burning their own green garden waste don’t need to register any waste exemptions

Employing a registered waste collector

As a householder, you must ensure your waste is disposed of by someone who is registered to accept it. If your waste has been transferred to an unregistered waste carrier and your waste is found to have been unlawfully disposed of then you will have a committed a criminal offence.

To ensure this does not happen, check that the person who takes control of your waste is licensed to do so by:

  • asking the waste carrier to provide you with their full address and telephone number and make them aware you will check that they are licensed to carry waste
  • recording the vehicle registration numbers of any vehicle used by a private waste carrier to take your waste away. The waste carrier may be less likely to illegally dump your waste if they are aware that their vehicle registration and details have  been recorded and they can be traced;
  • asking to see their Upper-tier Waste Carrier Licence issued by the Environment Agency. 
  • contacting the Environment Agency directly on 03708 506 506 and ask for a free instant Waste Carrier Validation Check, alternatively you can check online on the Environment Agency website

Find out more about fly-tipping and how to report it