If you are struggling to pay your council tax bill, take action before things get worse.
Tips to help you stay out of debt:
- sign up to pay by direct debit – it’s the easiest and most convenient way to pay
- ask us to spread your bill over 12 months
- claim Council Tax Reduction if you are on a low income
- see if you qualify to get money off your council tax bill
- apply for extra help if you are really struggling to pay because of financial hardship.
Still need help? Ask us for advice:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 0344 980 3333 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday
Getting into debt means paying more
If you don’t pay your council tax bill, you’ll end up paying much more. If we have to get a court summons to tell you to pay, it will cost you £60 on top of what you owe.
If an enforcement agency (previously known as bailiffs) is instructed by us to recover the debt it will cost you £75, and another £235 if they have to visit - with no likelihood of an appeal.